After you have been admitted to NIU as a degree-seeking graduate student, you must complete the following items to be enrolled.
- Accept your admission via the Student Center in MyNIU.
- If you have been previously admitted as a student-at-large, write to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your admission as a student-at-large effective the term of your admission as a degree-seeking student.
- Contact your degree program office to confirm your intention to enroll.
- Contact your degree program office to find out when you can schedule an advising appointment. At the appropriate time, the date on which you can start enrolling will be displayed in MyNIU.
- The Graduate School does not recommend enrolling in classes prior to consultation with an advisor.
Before You Arrive
You may also choose to take the following steps before arriving at NIU:
- Apply for Federal Financial Aid (U.S. citizens only). Any degree-seeking students seeking financial support should review the Costs and Funding section of this website.
- Find a place to live. NIU and the surrounding community offer a variety of housing options like on-campus residence halls and off-campus apartments and houses.
- Begin assembling required immunization records. NIU's Health Services website has detailed immunization documentation instructions.
- Review your health insurance coverage. Students enrolled in 9 or more credit hours will be automatically billed and enrolled for the Student Health Insurance plan. Visit Student Health Insurance for detailed instructions and options for alternative insurance coverage.
Students-At-Large (Non-degree Students)
- The Graduate School automatically accepts admission for students-at-large.
- At the appropriate time (usually in March for summer and fall enrollment and usually in October for spring enrollment) the date on which you can start enrolling will be displayed in MyNIU.
If you need to defer your admission, you may do so for up to 12 months by completing the online Request for Deferral of Admission form.
- Review the information for degree-seeking students above.
- Complete the Financial Certification for International Graduate Students.
- Scan the photo page and the facing page of your passport into one image
- Submit both documents to the Graduate School at email@example.com.
Once You Arrive at NIU
- Check in with the International Student and Faculty Office
- Follow-up with the Graduate School to present final, official copies of academic and other required documents
- Confirm your English placement, if any. If you score less than 7 (writing) on the IELTS or 26 (writing) on TOEFL will be placed in at least one English writing course for career and professional development purposes.
- The course is offered free of charge to you as a student. Opportunities for testing out of the class will be explained at check-in.
- Attend an orientation session. The International and Student Faculty Office offers orientation for new international students. Pre-registration is recommended, but not required.